Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Put your STRESS to the TEST !

How Vulnerable are You to Stress?

Nearly half of all Americans suffer some kind of stress, according to
the American Institute of Stress.

Stress has been linked to all the leading causes of death - heart
disease, cancer and suicide.
Score each item from 1 (almost always) to 5 (never), according to how
much of the time each statement applies to you.
  1. I eat at least one hot, balanced meal a day.
  2. I get seven to eight hours sleep at least four nights a week.
  3. I give and receive affection regularly.
  4. I have at least one relative within 50 miles on whom I can rely.
  5. I exercise to the point of perspiration at least twice a week.
  6. I smoke less than a half a pack or cigarettes a day.
  7. I take fewer than five alcoholic drinks per week.
  8. I am the appropriate weight for my height.
  9. I have an income adequate to meet basic expenses.
  10. I get strength from my religious beliefs.
  11. I have one or more friends to confide in about personal matters.
  12. I have a network of friends and acquaintances.
  13. I regularly attend club or social activities.
  14. I am in good health (including eyesight, hearing, teeth).
  15. I am able to speak openly about my feelings when I'm angry or worried.
  16. I have regular conversations with the people I live with about domestic problems,  including chores, money and daily living issues.
  17. I do something for fun at least once a week.
  18. I am able to organize my time effectively.
  19. I drink fewer than three cups of coffee (or tea or soda) a day.
  20. I take quiet time for myself during the day.
TOTAL:  To find out your score, add up the figures and subtract 20.  Any number over 30 indicates a vulnerability to stress.  You are seriously vulnerable if your score is between 50 and 75, and extremely vulneralbe if it is over 75.
Source:  The Stress Audit, developed by Lyle H. Miller and Alma Dell Smith, 1993 Biobehavioral Associates, Brookline, Mass.




[

No comments:

Post a Comment